Wind Mobile and iPhones: 5 things you need to know
Among the top Canadian carriers, Wind Mobile offers by far the cheapest unlimited talk, text, and data plans. Wind is an excellent alternative if you stay within the coverage of major urban areas, but its users are limited by high roaming fees and network blackouts in rural areas (although high roaming fees will soon be a thing of the past).
The Wind network uses the AWS (Advanced Wireless Services) frequency which is only compatible with certain smartphones. T-Mobile also uses this frequency for its network in the USA, which is why most of their phones are compatible with Wind.
If you’re an iPhone user and are thinking about switching to Wind Mobile, here is everything you need to know before making the move.
5 things to know about Wind Mobile
1) Wind doesn’t sell iPhones – That’s right: you’ll have to bring your own iPhone, or as Wind calls it, BYOP. Orchard sells a range of high quality used iPhones that are compatible with the Wind network – click here to see our full selection.
2) Your iPhone needs to be unlocked – Canadian carriers can be a little jealous and hate the idea of an iPhone they sold being used on another network. Make sure that your iPhone was bought directly from Apple (ie. factory unlocked) or get it unlocked by the carrier.
- You can verify that your iPhone is unlocked by running its IMEI here.
3) iPhone 4S and earlier models do not work with Wind – They’re simply not compatible with Wind’s network. We don’t want to bore you with the technical explanation, so let’s just leave it at that.
4) Only some iPhone 5 models are compatible – Also for technical reasons. Basically if the serial number for your 16GB iPhone 5 ends in FH1C (White), or FH19 (Black) then you’re in business (serial numbers for other models here). But remember – it has to be unlocked. Apple no longer sells the iPhone 5, but you can still get high-quality used devices from Orchard (look for the Wind Compatible banner).
5) iPhone 5s, 5c, 6 and 6s models sold by Canadian carriers are compatible (if unlocked) – Chalk one up for the little guys. You can see the full list of supported devices here to make sure you have the right model number. The iPhone 6 and 6s are the only models that can still be purchased unlocked directly from Apple. You can also get any of these high-quality used devices right here.